Monday, February 25, 2013

A Raisin in the Sun

We are watching this play as the drama selection in ENGL 112.  The first half was viewed last week, and we will finish this week.  Usually I am distracted by other things during the viewing of a film in class, but this time I watched closely, hoping to catch the finer details.

I also noticed some of the effects that I taught in film lit class (during my high school teaching experience).  Placement of items, camera angles, characters' positions, dialogue, diction, gestures, non-verbal communication - all of those came to mind as I watched the movie.

Sidney Poitier is a superb actor, bringing the character of Walter Lee to life.  When I researched his life a bit, I found that he is now 86.  Wow.  Even though he is not best known for his portrayal of the Younger son in this play, he does give a significant performance.


1 comment:

  1. I am sure almost everything Sidney Poitier has touched becomes gold... or at least silver! Lilies of the Field is another great piece I will watch every time I know it is on.

    I noticed the camera angles and "artsie" aspect of the film last semester and wanted to discuss them yet I did not want to take from the actual reading of the play. The way in which Poitier used his body language (almost jittery) to appear as though he were a hatching about to emerge from a shell and the use of his hands in a reaching manner in several scenes to me represented a man about to obtain something he'd been reaching for his whole life.

    ReplyDelete