Friday, March 8, 2013

Home of Carl Sandburg

As my husband and I were driving through North Carolina today, we spotted an exit for the Carl Sandburg home.  Hmm....one of our poets!

Normally I would have wanted Gary to switch lanes quickly and careen off the interstate to the exit and search for the house, but I decided not to force him to endure a tour of an author's home this early in the vacation!

Tonight as we are sitting in a hotel room in Columbia, SC, I decided to do a little searching and found some pictures on Google Images and also this blog that was an interesting read.

http://relaxedhikingnc.blogspot.com/2011/04/carl-sandburg-home-nhs-4232011.html

You might enjoy checking it out too.

Sandburg's poems are really some of the best for me. I particularly enjoy the "Chicago" --'city of the big shoulders.... '  I was very excited when we were watching an episode of  MASH years ago (some of you have no idea what the program even was, I know!) and Hawkeye ordered ribs and sauce from Adam's Rib in Chicago (through Radar or Klinger, I forget which one), and started to recite Sandburg's poem.  Maybe I really like that poem too because we live so close to Chicago, we have been there several times, and I just like the Windy City.

Another favorite of mine is "Fog."  Short. Simple. To the point.   

Anyway.....on this trip I know we will spend some time in Charleston. Gary really wants to see Fort Sumpter and some ships that are docked closeby. 

I think that my touring a fort and ships (even if I am a Navy vet daughter) would merit a stop at an author's home on the return trip. Don't you agree?  I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Red hair, father is Navy veteran, love literature... Surely you'll adopt me someday!

    Speaking of Literature related historical sites,I have an idea. I do not know if anyone is on board for this but I have always wanted to go to the "Limberlost." Oh, I must correct myself. I have always wanted to go to the "Limberlost" after reading Gene Stratton Porter's book. This book has a family legacy to it for me. My great grandmother read it most likely a few years after it's first publication. When her daughters were at the right age she handed all of them a copy. All three of my aunts were given a copy as their tradition progressed. I believe it was Christmas of my freshman year, possibly my birthday in September, I received a package from my grandmother. Inside contained a letter stating the significance of the gift. If you've read A Girl of the Limberlost you will see the significance of the matriarchal figure pushing a young woman to read this story. My grandmother's story helped compound the importance of the story. Her husband, the father of her five children died suddenly in a car accident when their eldest child was six years old and the youngest was eleven months old. It is Spring Break, maybe you could find time to check out this story of the timeless mother daughter struggle. Then, we can all go see the Limberlost (Rome City, Indiana).

    By the way, Porter wrote during our English 223 time frame. Check out this web site: http://www.genestratton-porter.com/

    Note to Mrs. S, if by chance you are being adventurous, go ahead and drive the 5 or 6 hours from the area you are in and go to Schuyler, Va and visit the Walton's museum for me. I've always wanted to go there too! Love my Spencer's Mountain movie and the series Walton's Mountain. (We even call my son Clayboy & I'm sure you know why!)

    ReplyDelete