Friday, March 15, 2013

The Wonders of Nature

If you haven't figured it out already, I love nature.  I live in the country. My husband is a farmer.  We have a camper.  I like to walk in the woods, watch the ocean waves, and enjoy a good thunderstorm, as long as there are no tornadoes.

The return trip on Thursday to Brookgreen Gardens revealed something new to us....on the four original plantations that now comprise the Gardens were slaves who tended the rice fields.  We hadn't known before that rice was grown in South Carolina.  We wandered through the old slave quarters, listened to the recorded narrative at each spot that explained the role of the slaves, the overseer, the homes, and the tending of the rice fields.  They were flooded four times, each time very crucial to the crop.  The overseer and his slaves were full of knowledge about the planting and harvesting of the crop.  Quite interesting! The picture below is of the former rice fields, now a marsh.


This morning we walked along the Boardwalk, out on Pier 14, and along the beach in both directions. Today was so sunny and warm, but windy, and the water was glistening like sparkling diamonds. The expanse of the ocean is always amazing to me---it stretches so far, and I know that there is no landfall for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

 
We have visited several beaches, but I think this has to be one of my favorite areas.  I like the sea grass.  I enjoy the unique restaurants.  Even though there are many little shops that all feature the same items, such as sweatshirts and t-shirts and various other tourist type of memorabilia, many unique shops are available which feature local crafts, paintings, and sculptures. Seagrass baskets fascinate me, and on our next trip, we will stop at one of the many markets along Route 17 between Myrtle Beach and Charleston to check them out.



Saturday we bid a fond goodbye to Myrtle Beach and start the 14 hour trip home.  I must admit that the weather was cooler than we would have liked, but we enjoy being on Spring Break before the public schools are just because the crowds are smaller.  I have sighed several times when I see the temps predicted for the next few days---in the 70s.  Oh well...there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment