Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Tide Rises, the Tide Falls

I know Longfellow belongs in ENGL 222, but walking along the ocean tonight reminded me of two of his poems, my favorites of his actually.

In  "The Tide Rises, the Tide Falls" the speaker laments the fact that his footprints in the sand disappear when the tide rolls in.   He takes it one step further and expresses his sadness that all that he has accomplished in his life may be wiped out and not remembered, just like the footprints are washed away by the rolling waves.

I was feeling a little blue myself as we walked this evening.  Memories came flooding back at me of times when we visited Jekyll Island in Georgia and Indian Shores in Tampa with our daughters and had such fun being tossed around by the waves. As I looked out over the Atlantic, I could hear their voices and see them running back and forth as the waves came crashing to shore.  I remember the sand sculptures they crafted and the drawings they made in the soft sand, all of which were erased by the tide the next day. I felt sad that our little "footprints" had been erased.

However, my husband reminded me that life goes on, that the girls are grown up, graduated from college, married, home owners, employed, and have families.  They live close enough for us to see frequently.  Now we will be able to watch Landon and the new little grandchild running around on the beach, chasing the waves, picking us seashells.  The footprints will endure in the form of our family and the memories we share and will continue to make.

The tide does rise, and the tide does fall, but my "Psalm of Life" continues to endure....through Megan and Hilary and Landon and Baby Scott.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous! What a beautiful sight to wake up to. The endless ocean,the sun rising out of it, and the crashing of the waves onto the shore. The memories of my children when they were small often makes me long to have them small again.But I can not go backwards so the hope of daughter's-in-law and grandchildren is always there. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete